Summer Internship Reflection: Caroline Babinski ’20

Name: Caroline Babinski ’20
Major: English with Peace and Conflict Studies Concentration
Position: NBC Nightly News Digital Intern

Reflecting on the internship itself, Babinski comments on how her English major gave her the skills to “effectively convey stories in a concise and enticing way.”

This summer, Caroline Babinski ’20 assisted the NBC Nightly News digital team by working on social media posts and researching digital strategies. She worked on a number of cool projects such as developing strategies for Instagram stories and Tumblr posts to drive engagement, monitored other news social media accounts and assisted with social media coverage on the first Democratic Presidential Debate.

When asked about how she found the internship, Babinski shares the role that the Center for Career Development and director of NYC semester program played in her finding and securing this opportunity. She says, “I cannot express how helpful the Center for Career Development and the Holy Cross Alumni Network have been in helping me explore different career paths. I highly encourage all students to take advantage of these amazing resources!”

Reflecting on the internship itself, Babinski comments on how her English major gave her the skills to “effectively convey stories in a concise and enticing way.” Further, she reflects on how her liberal arts education and professional skills that she have developed at Holy Cross gave her confidence in an industry where she minimal previous experience.

After a summer full of learning new industry trends, lots of crusader connections and professional development, Babinski feels as though she has a better sense of what she wants to do post graduation. “I absolutely loved being immersed in the digital news space. Social media is changing the way that we consume news, and I learned so much from being surrounded by the changing industry every day. My internship helped me solidify that I want to pursue a career in media, and it has helped me create new personal and professional goals.”

If you see her on campus, say “hi” and ask her more about her summer at NBC Nightly News!

Thank you to Caroline Babinski ’20 for sharing her story, and Kate Beckerman ’20 for interviewing her! We hope to see you at the annual Women in Business conference on November 2, 2019.  Register here!